Wednesday, July 2, 2014

My Daughter's Mission Call

The day has finally come! I got home and opened my mailbox to find a large white envelope from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. She was convinced it wouldn't be here today and that we'd have to wait at least another week, but it was there!! She had to work and she still lives a couple of hours away from home, so she won't be here until tomorrow.


She's invited a few close friends and family members, so as to keep it relatively private and reverent, to a BBQ tomorrow evening. I can't begin to explain how happy I am for her. She and I are absolutely TERRIBLE at exercising patience. I'm not sure I could have waited another week. Okay, sure I could have... but still!

I have a lot of mixed feelings about this whole mission thing, but rather than dwell on the negative thoughts I have chosen to get excited with her. The reason I am so excited is because she's worked hard to be worthy and innocent her entire life and it's what she truly wants. It will make her happy, and how could I ever feel negative about something that makes my child happy? It just wouldn't make sense. It's not for me and I don't necessarily agree with the concept, but I have no doubt it will bring joy and fulfillment to her.

Wow. That just reminded me of my situation and how grateful I am for the people who have not only accepted me but have cheered for me, even though "it's not for them and they don't necessarily agree with it." There definitely are those people who have been able to let go of their own assumptions about homosexuality and truly feel joy for me simply because I feel joy.

I guess I've learned something and am now the person who can fully feel joy for someone else just because they found joy for themselves, no matter how it happened. That feels good.

My sweet, beautiful daughter will be an amazing servant of the Lord. She already is, but once she's doing it full time we will really see incredible things happen. Gosh, I love her!

1 comment:

Trev said...

What a lovely little post. Congratulations to your daughter! I love the attitude you describe toward it, and it resonates with me as being very... right.

Wouldn't it be nice if everybody could just feel joy with each other when they feel joy without reservation? I think that is a godlike characteristic.